Re: "Increment" as verb

Subject: Re: "Increment" as verb
From: K Watkins <KWATKINS -at- QUICKPEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:15:00 -0300

True to my belief that (when there's a difference) language is what people
use, rather than what dictionaries describe, I would say from what I hear
around me that "increment" is indeed a verb. It's more common than
"decrement", but it still carries a rather programmerly flavor, I think; so
you may want to consider your audience. Strictly speaking, it means
"increase [a quantity], probably repeatedly, by an established quantity",
but usually it means more loosely "increase [a quantity] by one".

K Watkins
kwatkins -at- quickpen -dot- com
speaking for myself, not my employers