Re: PCMCIA cards, Internet vs. internet

Subject: Re: PCMCIA cards, Internet vs. internet
From: Andrew Woodhouse <awoodhou -at- MPC-UK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 09:33:48 GMT

Al Rubottom <aer -at- pcsi -dot- cirrus -dot- com> writes:

> An "internet" is any type of internetwork, i.e. "communication
> between two networks or two types of networks or end
> equipment" [def. courtesy of Newton's Telecom Dictionary].
> It is a *generic* term for *any* interconnection/internetworking
> scheme, or the equipment used for making connections between
> LANs, WANs, and suchlike. These "internets" are what keep
> corporate America [and much of the world] humming & communicating.

> THE "Internet" [note initial cap] is the Info Highway, Infobahn,
> or whatever-you-prefer, which we all use for e-mail, and
> which we browse or surf with Netscape, Mosaic, etc., via its
> more graphical subchannel, the WorldWideWeb. THE
> Internet is NOT to be confused with "an internet", and
> to use the terms inaccurately merely shows you don't
> know what is what... so DON'T DO IT!

[snip]

> Al Rubottom /\ tel: 619.535.9505, x1737
> aer -at- pcsi -dot- cirrus -dot- com /\ fax: 619.541.2260

Is that right?

I'm in the telecomms field, and not once, NEVER, have I heard of 'an internet'.

Guess I don't know as much as I thought I did :-(
Better get humble!

Andrew Woodhouse

------------ Technical Writer ------------
U S WEST INTERNATIONAL SYSTEMS GROUP
email (work) : andrew -dot- woodhouse -at- isysg -dot- com
email (home) : awoodho -at- ibm -dot- net
D I S C L A I M E R
Nothing in this message represents the
views or opinions of U S WEST ISG.