Re: A disturbing trend?What???

Subject: Re: A disturbing trend?What???
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- COMPUTEK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 22:06:54 +0600

Helen Hegelheimer wrote:

> I find this thread a "disturbing trend"..... seems the two of you might
> discuss this back channel or perhaps on another list that is more appropriate.

> Helen Hegelheimer
> hxh -at- formtek -dot- com

> > > This observation may not mean anything, but I was disturbed by
> > > it nonetheless. Mom H. is teaching a course on communications skills to
> > > a group of techwhirler wannabes (mild pejorative) who are taking
> > > the course to retain their unemployment insurance benefits. However,
> > > few of the students seem capable of writing beyond the (charitably)
> > > high school level. I have the nasty suspicion that the
> > > provincial government, which sponsors the course, doesn't seem to
> > > think that you need to know how to write to be a techwhirler. Hmmm...
> >
> > I am in California and have seen the same thing. A local junior college
offers
> > a Certificate in Technical Writing after the completion of four writing
> > courses. As a student in the last three courses, I've seen writing that my
(snip, snip)

Helen,

What list could possibly be more appropriate for discussing standards
for a "Certificate in Technical Writing" than this one? I think the
concerns here are valid and timely. I, too, taught technical writing
at a state university and found the students ill-prepared for college
composition, much less the demands of technical writing. If the
standards are lowered for certification, then it means nothing. We
must all take notice of this "disturbing trend" for our own sakes.
Jane Bergen
Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com or janeb -at- computek -dot- net
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word
is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug" (Mark Twain)