Winword 6: Forcing chapters to start on odd page

Subject: Winword 6: Forcing chapters to start on odd page
From: Stan Brown <stbrown -at- NACS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 12:29:22 -0500

[Jill asks how to force each chapter to begin on a right-hand page, and
expresses some frustration at using master documents.]

The solition is not entirely obvious, but it's not difficult. You can't do
it with styles, so you need to do it with sections.

If each chapter is already a section (as it probably should be), do this:
- click on the File menu, then the Page Setup selection.
- Select the Layout tab of the dialog box.
- In the Section Start drop-down, select Odd Page.
- In the Apply To drop-dowm, select Whole Document.
- Click OK.

If your chapters are not separate sections, you'll have to make each one a
section that starts on an odd page. Here's how:
- Click the Insert menu and the Break selection, then Odd Page and OK; or
- Key Alt-I, Alt-B, Alt-O, Enter.
(Repeat the above for each chapter.) Next, check the style that you use
for the chapter title, to make sure that it doesn't insert an extra page
break. To do that, perform these steps once only:
- Click somewhere in a chapter title.
- Click the Format menu and the Style selection.
- Click Modify, then Format, then Paragraph.
- Select the Text Flow tab in the dialog box.
- Ensure that Page Break Before is not checked.
- Click OK, OK again, and Close.

Why do I say each chapter should probably be a section? There are two
principal reasons.

First, since headers and footers vary by section, you gain flexibility.
For instance, you can easily run chapter number and title in a header or
footer, have different headers and footers on the first page of a chapter,
and so on.

Second, it becomes _much_ easier to navigate through your document while
editing. You just select Edit Goto and type s, Enter to go to the start of
the next chapter; or s5p8 to go to the eighth page of the fifth chapter.
See Edit Goto in online help.

One final note: Master documents don't work all that well in Word, as you
may have found: the implementation is both confusing and buggy. That's a
perennial thread in comp.os.ms-windows.apps.word-proc. The add-on of which
I've heard the best reports is at
ftp://ftp.coast.net/SimTel/win3/winword/master11.zip .

Regards,
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems Cleveland, Ohio USA stbrown -at- nacs -dot- net