Re: Tech Writers' test

Subject: Re: Tech Writers' test
From: Kris Olberg <KJOlberg -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 18:41:15 -0500

In a message dated 95-12-17 16:04:14 EST, ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM (David
Ibbetson) writes:

>Whether David Blyth and Suzanne Townsend were serious is irrelevant.

>They have provided an excellent "masterpiece" or passing out exam. These are
>the problems one encounters on deadline.

Yes, the questions do correlate highly with problems we deal with regularly.
However, we, as battled-scarred technical writers, can relate to each of the
situations. A formative student probably cannot identify with these
situations to the same degree. A student may be confused or even turned off
by a certain negativity toward the profession.

I really only object to its use as a test. Students ARE GRADED on tests. If
tricked, a student may resent the teacher, the course, the school, the
profession, etc.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com