Re: Contractions in User Guides

Subject: Re: Contractions in User Guides
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:47:08 EST

Karen Mayer asked:

>I noticed that quite a few manuals contain contractions these days, and
>wondered how widespread their use is.

I try to avoid the use of contractions. Almost all of the manuals I've
written had the potential for use overseas, and this makes me cautious.
The foreign audience probably -does- know the meanings of the contractions,
but by spelling out the complete words I avoid that possible pitfall.

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA
rjl -at- bostech -dot- com