Re: Politically Correct TechDoc

Subject: Re: Politically Correct TechDoc
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 09:07:34 EST

Does anybody out there write obstetric or pediatric texts? If so, please note
the following from the wife of a disgruntled former nursing student (now nurse).

Many obstetric texts refer to the mother as "she" and the medical practitioner
and baby as "he." While I will concede that all mothers are female :-), is
there anybody out there who feels that all doctors, nurses, midwives, and babies
are male? I can assure you that this is not the case. <vbg>

Ditto many peds texts -- mother = she, med. pract. & child = he _unless_ matters
specific to the sex of the patient are discussed.

If those of you out there who write such texts are careful to avoid sexism, I
commend you. However, I'm afraid my husband didn't study your books.

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer)