Re[2]: We don't "learn language!

Subject: Re[2]: We don't "learn language!
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:08:59 -0700

Arlen P. Walker says:

>You are right: we don't teach our children how to speak.

Damn! So _that_'s why I almost got a "D" in Calculus. I was
sleeping in the wrong classroom! ;)

Actually, I just read an article about this a week ago. If
I recall correctly, children can manage telegraphic speech
(burbles and sounds) on their own without assistance. But
they need to listen to adult speech in order to learn a language.

Thus, the researchers concluded (big surprise here) that the more
you talk to a baby and help them to learn, the faster an infant
can talk.

The whole topic gets into what's hardwired into a brain (for
example, double negatives - see also "Creole") and what's learned.

If there's sufficient interest, I'll try to dig up the article
I read. I think it came out of my local (San Diego) newspaper,
so I can phygh out of the library, if nothing else.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - I don't speak for QUALCOMM, they don't speak
for me....