Re: We don't "learn" language!

Subject: Re: We don't "learn" language!
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 08:27:58 MST

Caryn Rizell-->
> I don't know how this thread started, but it is interesting. You are
> right: we don't teach our children how to speak. I am continually amazed
> at the ability of my 2 1/2 yr son to form sentences, and correctly use such
> constructs as 'you and I', 'do, did, does', etc. We certainly didn't sit
> down with him and teach him about present and past tense, first and second
> person, etc!

Perhaps he learned by example. If you spoke in incorrect tense
whenever you were around your son, he'd probably speak
incorrectly as well. Just because you didn't sit down and teach
him, doesn't mean he didn't learn from you!

=*= Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil =*=
=*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=
=*= "Unless otherwise stated, all comments are my own. =*=
=*= I am not representing my employer in any way." =*=