Re: Teaching/Learning Writing/Grammar

Subject: Re: Teaching/Learning Writing/Grammar
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 15:09:52 -0500

My kids are in one of the vilified programs where they are
encouraged to write before they know all the rules. It goes
far - they were "writing" stories before they knew how to
form letters.

They do learn the rules - the teachers help them turn
rough drafts into correct documents. But the emphasis is
on communication and getting the ideas down on paper.
And that's where it belongs. We all need to remember that.

Correct grammar is just a tool. An important tool, and one
worthy of long and careful study, but not the goal of either
children or tech writers.

Mike Huber - whose kids write clear, correct prose, and lots of it.