Re: Word 7.0/95

Subject: Re: Word 7.0/95
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 10:55:53 EST

Michael asked:

Any comments on Word 7.0 released for Windows 95? I had a lot of problems
with Word 6.0 and so I'm reluctant to upgrade.

The two writers here were moved to Win95 because FrameMaker5 wouldn't run
under OS/2 Warp (with the older Win32s). We also got the Word upgrade
because the engineers write their specs in Word. The files seem
compatible enough, except for a strange problem...

We use an in-house-designed template, based on the normal.dot that comes
with Word. We just added a bunch of styles and changed the point size of
some of the fonts. Nothing fancy. But every time either of us opened a
file based on this template or tried to create a file from this template,
all the normal styles, and those based on normal, were bold. Only, the B
button on the toolbar was not depressed -- Word didn't seem to know the
text was bold. The description of the style said nothing about bold, yet
that's how it appeared on the screen, and it printed bold, too. We
managed to find a solution, fortunately. We copied the normal style from
the normal.dot template to our in-house template and made the few changes
necessary to match it to the one we replaced. Now when we open an
existing document, we have to go to File>Templates and enable
Automatically Update Document Styles.

I can't think of any other serious problems (that are new to v7).