Re: Faster than the speed of morph...

Subject: Re: Faster than the speed of morph...
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl -at- BOSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 09:15:10 EST

Regarding the word count in an evening news half-hour broadcast, I said
a CBS Evening News script had a word count roughly 2/3 the front page of the
NY Times. Richard Mateosian said:

>That's astonishingly high. Are you sure it isn't two-thirds of one article?
>...RM

Well, no, I'm not. Either way, though, we agree that the word count of the
newscast is -far- less than the word count of the entire newspaper.

Again, the same lesson would hold for multimedia technical information.
Imagine how long it would take to "narrate" even a 150-page tech manual. The
word counts on the video scripts will be far less than what you can get into
a printed page. (And by "printed" I mean both paper -and- traditional on-line
help pages.)

Rick Lippincott
Boston Technology
Wakefield, MA