Re: Tech Writers that can't write a Resume

Subject: Re: Tech Writers that can't write a Resume
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 19:46:30 -0500

Guy, I respectfully disagree. Writing an effective resume requires skills
in marketing writing more than skills in true technical writing. They are
very different beasts!

Also, many people find it very difficult to "blow their own horns" -- they
are not comfortable with what they perceive as bragging. When someone else
writes the piece, the owner feels more distanced from, and therefore more
comfortable with, the results.

I spent a year in marketing with an engineering company. Besides learning
how to prepare a solid proposal, I apply a lot of what I learned there to my
resume and other self-marketing techniques.

To those who want to improve their resume-writing skills, I suggest taking a
course in marketing (especially marketing for small businesses). You can
probably find one at your local community college or continuing education
program.

Win
----------------

At 10:53 AM 11/30/95 -0500, Guy McDonald <guym -at- DAKA -dot- COM> wrote:
>-- [ From: Guy McDonald * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

>This subject is a bit ridiculous. Consider this view...... I am tasked by a
>client to create, develop, and implement a training program with his
>documentation management department.

>I've bid the job at $800,000, was awarded the contract, then march off to
>assemble my team of writers, graphics weenies & editors.

>Now, consider this..... as Principal Consultant for my company, and Sr.
>Technical Writer, I cannot write my own resume!

>Yet I sure can assimilate complex engineering info into a 9th grade level of
>understanding. Now I ask you folks, what's wrong with this picture???

>If you can not write your own resume, and call yourself a writer.... well
>maybe that's why America is still slipping comparatively to the world in
>education.

>--
>Guy McDonald
>Olympic Peninsula, WA