Re: Proper use of commas in England?

Subject: Re: Proper use of commas in England?
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- GPO -dot- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 18:38:00 EST

Katherine,
You asked:

comma
just before the "and" at the end of a string of named items. For example:
A complete computer package includes a CPU, a keyboard, and a mouse.
A complete computer package includes a CPU, a keyboard and a mouse.
I have been recently told (quite forcefully) that the final comma MUST BE
OMITTED in documentation that is going to be used in England . . . that
such a comma is totally UNacceptable there.
Is this true, or do I just have someone trying to impose his personal
preference on me?>>>>>

What you have recently been (quite forcefully) is true. When in England
(or writing for the English for that matter), a comma is not used before a
conjunction. It's the same in Canada when writing documentation for
governments or the military (who insist upon using the Queen's English).
However, I do think the rules on the usage of commas is relaxing, and very,
very few people (with the possible exception of Professors of English) will
object in the unlikely event that they notice. The Canadian military on the
other hand, is sometimes more British that the Queen. :^]
Best Regards
Paul
paul -dot- cheverie -at- gpo -dot- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com