Re: brainstorm for toolbar button

Subject: Re: brainstorm for toolbar button
From: Grant Hogarth <GRANT -at- ONYXGFX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:02:55 +8

Susan Fowler <sfowler -at- EJV -dot- COM> writes:

> The original description of the problem made me wonder if the solution lies in
> bit of usability testing with customers. You can do some quick paper and
pencil
> tests with customers (or even other people in the office) to see whether they
> need a 'default' button at all.

Good point.

> Why not just show the defaults, period, and let
> users overwrite the ones they don't want, for example?

The problem (IMHO) lies in the nature of "defaults" and the nature of users.

We sell a product that ships with "factory default" settings. Often
our users want to change those to be the defaults for *their*
implementation of our product. (S/w for producing large-format
graphics, BTW). Some of our users also want to have multiple sets of
"default" settings. One of the consequences is that often our users
(and our technical support group) want to go "back" to the default
settings as a baseline. Having a "restore defaults"option allows for
this to happen.

One of the other things that this conversation brings up is what would
you folks use to indicate a "select profile" icon? All I can think of at the
moment is multiple outlines of people (sort-of like a crowd shot).

fun & games, eh wot?
Grant

Grant Hogarth, Information Developer
Onyx Graphics Corp. Midvale, UT
www.onyxgfx.com ftp.onyxgfx.com
#include <std_disclaim>

"Government by flamethrower is not the same as democracy."
--Alan F. Kay