Re: Gen X

Subject: Re: Gen X
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 19:24:48 -0800

At 01:16 PM 11/27/95 -0600, Kara Leigh Schubert wrote:
>This is my pet peeve. I fall under the category of "Generation X," and I
>really hate it. Just mentioning that phrase makes me cringe. In fact, I
>recently went to a conference in which one of the speakers constantly
>referred to my age group as Generation X. There were 5 students in this
>session, and we were all turned off by the speaker. The speaker lost all
>crebility in our eyes. (The speaker lost credibility in a lot of people's
>eyes for a lot of reasons during that session.) Who wants to be labelled
>"lazy and unmotivated?"

I think you're confusing Gen X and "Slacker". You *are* Gen X by your
birthdate; that's an inescapable fact. This doesn't imply 'lazy and
unmotivated', any more than the term 'Boomer' implies something other than
birthdate about those people. 'Slacker', on the other hand, is a term of
derogation claimed proudly by some Gen X'ers.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com