Problems with RTFTOHTML

Subject: Problems with RTFTOHTML
From: Gretchen Toth <glt -at- ICONOVEX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:17:30 -0600

Keith-

If you are only looking to do a basic conversion of Word documents
to HTML, AnchorPage may be overkill. AnchorPage was created to
automatically hyperlink AND index HTML documents. AnchorPage will,
however, create a TOC based on headings and hyperlink those to
headings in the document(s).

We do have a product called RTFact that converts RTF documents to
HTML. It will convert tables to your choice of either HTML tables
or bullet lists. RTFact converts RTF according to styles, e.g., RTF
'heading 1' to HTML '<H1>...</H1>', but the RTF style names to
convert can be adjusted.

Keith wrote:

>I have been looking at software to convert Microsoft Word documents to
>HTML. I've looked at Internet Assistant for Word, Anchorpage, and
>RTFTOHTML, among others.

>Internet Assistant doesn't hanlde tables and won't generate a table
>of contents that's linked to the headers in the document, so it's useless
>to me.

>AnchorPage looks interesting, but I haven't had enough time to form
>a firm opinion. It may be overkill for what I want.

>RTFTOHTML would be good enough for my purposes, if I could get it to
>generate a table of contents linked to the headers in the document.<snip>

>I am not sure if RTF itself has built-in styles, or whether it just uses
>the style names that come from your Word file or template.

>If anyone has used RTFTOHTML and can offer any advice, I'd really appreciate
>hearing from you.

:-)

Gretchen L. Toth
Technical Writer
The Iconovex Corporation
gretchen -dot- toth -at- iconovex -dot- com
http://www.iconovex.com