Dealing with autogenerated cross refs

Subject: Dealing with autogenerated cross refs
From: Glenda Jeffrey <jeffrey -at- HKS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 18:12:13 GMT

I'm curious how you folks deal with auto-generated cross references in
very long documents. The problem is that, in order to guarantee that
the cross references are properly generated, you have to print the
entire document. In our case, that's a couple thousand pages.

One alternative I've thought of is setting up a list (auto-generated
of course) that couples a macro definition to a section number. (We're
not using page-number-based cross references, thank goodness.) That
way, you don't need to print the entire document to get the cross
references right, assuming that somebody has updated the list
recently.

The only trouble is that, with the software I'm using, this is
unwieldy. The software insists on maintaining one big long list of
macro definitions that the user can pick from with the mouse; there's
no way to split it apart into manageable lists. The long list is very
slow coming up, too.

Anybody got any other bright ideas? I'm working in SGML,
but don't let that stop you from responding, since ideas
based on other publishing systems may still be valid.
--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200