Re: How Much RAM?

Subject: Re: How Much RAM?
From: Larry Grinnell <Larry_Grinnell -at- PTS -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 08:06:11 -0500

Not wanting to start another flame war over platforms and the like (BTW,
lighten up!), we have just replaced nine PC-clones with Power Macintosh
8500s. One thing we insisted upon in the system design was to make sure we
had sufficient RAM to concurrently use FrameMaker with elements of Microsoft
Office or Adobe Illustrator, or Adobe Photoshop (and likely other combinations
of programs and utilities). As an aside, a few of our software reps indicated
that we were "bucking the trend."

To do so and still extract the maximum performance of these hot machines,
we specified (and got) 64MB of RAM for each of these new machines. That, along
with a 2GB hard drive and a microprocessor on a replaceable (upgradeable)
daughterboard, will allow me to keep these machines up to date and defer
complete obsolescence for some time to come (that's the plan anyway).

Admittedly, my company has deep pockets (see the signature), but after
suffering from insufficient RAM and disk space on our PCs, as well as open
hostility from our service bureaus and printers (over PC files and their
problems), we went all Macintosh, and while not the top-of-the-line machine
(we could have gotten the 9500, but felt we didn't need the slots...).

Larry

Larry Grinnell, Motorola, Inc., Paging Products Group
Boynton Beach, Florida
Email: Larry_Grinnell -at- pts -dot- mot -dot- com
"History Delights in Details"--John Quincy Adams