Re: "rule of thumb"

Subject: Re: "rule of thumb"
From: Gina <psu02909 -at- ODIN -dot- CC -dot- PDX -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 12:42:21 -0800

The "Rule of Thumb" comes out of seventeenth-century English Chattel Law,
stating that a man may chastize his wife with a stick no larger than his
thumb (so that she would not be damaged in a fashion that would seriously
impair her ability to work). (Dobash). In Eighteenth century French law [a
husband] was "restricted violence against wives to "blows, thumps, kicks,
or punches on the back if they leave no traces." and did not allow the
use of "sharp edged or crushing instruments" (Castan, cited in Dobash and
Dobash 1979:56-57).

Source:
Dobash, R. E. and Dobash, R. "Love, Honor, and Obey: Institutional
Ideologies and th Struggle for Battered Women." Contemporary Crises, 1
(1997: 403-415).
in: Women: Images and Realities, Mountain View: Mayfield Publ, 1995.
Kesselman, McNair, Schniedewind, eds.

Hope this is useful. I co/teach with the director of women's studies using
this
anthology in an interdisciplinary sophomore inquiry class here at Portland
State University.

Gina Eastman