Re: The Death of the Apostrophe: "IT'S", not "ITS"

Subject: Re: The Death of the Apostrophe: "IT'S", not "ITS"
From: Ian White <Ian -at- IFWTECH -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 14:30:53 LCL

Brett Peruzzi wrote:

: I don't believe the apostrophe will ever leave the English language,
: because there are so many people who use it when it is not needed.
: One ofthe more common misuses appears in plural nouns. I once saw a
: bar inJacksonville FL with a facade that promised:

: DRINK'S GAME'S SNACK'S

In Britain it's known as the "greengrocer's apostrophe", as in:

POTATOE'S TOMATO'S BANANA'S ORANGE'S

(with apologies to Dan Quayle)

--
Ian White | IFW Technical Services, Abingdon, England