Re: Gender bias in Cyberspace

Subject: Re: Gender bias in Cyberspace
From: Diane Peters <dj -at- IBAPAH -dot- RAXCO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 12:04:45 -0700

Concerning the subject of Gender Bias in Cyberspace, I can say very little.
However, someone (I believe is was Mr. Hart) posed that if gender bias [in
technology] exists: what does this mean to us as technical communicators?

Gender differences have always intrigued and amused me. One of my co-workers
recently read a book, which I have meant to look for, that discusses the topic
of gender-based communication. I asked her for the title and author. This is
what we have so far.

> Indeed it did. Offhand, I remember accurately only the first part of
> the title--From 9 to 5:...The next section is something like The Ways
> Men and Women Communicate in the Workplace.

If anyone in our listserver audience has read this book ("From 9 to 5") perhaps
they could offer us some insight--from a writer's point of view--if gender bias
and/or gender differences in communication affect our work in any way. In any
case, I think they definitely affect our work relationships.

As with all generalizations, I think there are exceptions, but I do believe
the majority of each gender carry some common, viable inherent qualities among
its members. I don't know about learning styles, but I think they cross gender
boundaries; however, communication styles are another ball game... wanna play?

diapet -at- axent -dot- com
dj -at- ibapah -dot- raxco -dot- com

The road to enlightenment is long and difficult...
so, bring snacks and a magazine.