Re: TW-L Dissension

Subject: Re: TW-L Dissension
From: Win Day <winday -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 07:00:27 -0500

At 06:05 PM 11/13/95 EST, Christy Dawn Langley wrote:
>Someone (can't remember who) reiterated a point that I have heard
>before on this list and it disturbs me. The point was that some
>subscribers for this list actually have to pay $$$ for the privilege and
>do not contend that certain threads, namely the recent thread of
>profanity, belong on this list.

>I can empathize to some extent with this contention. When I began to
>shell out $$$ for HBO, I did not like every single movie shown. And when
>my subscription magazine arrives in the mail, it's guaranteed I won't
>read every single article although I pay $$$ for the WHOLE magazine. I
>occasionally ask myself, "Am I getting my money's worth?" And sometimes
>the answer is no, but I have no plans to cancel either subscription
>namely because I get what I am promised -- movies and relevant articles
>-- for the most part.

Christy, it's not the same. You pay money for a cable movie channel for the
ability to watch what you choose, when you choose. If you choose not to
watch at all, you still pay for the ability.

When I pay for my connect time, I pay for each message I download because I
pay by the hour. If all the threads are on topic, I've gotten my money's
worth. If threads go on endlessly offtopic, then I've wasted online time
downloading them when I could have been doing something else online.
Deleting them only saves me my offline reading time, not my online
downloading time.

All the same, I still belong to this list, because the gems that fall
between the garbage are well worth the money I waste on the garbage.

Win
Win Day
Technical Writer/Editor
Email: winday -at- idirect -dot- com