Re: I need your input - again

Subject: Re: I need your input - again
From: Herman Holtz <holtz -at- PALTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 10:36:16 UNDEFINED

In article <9511112157 -dot- AA05548 -at- plamondon -dot- com> Robert Plamondon
<robert -at- plamondon -dot- com> writes:
>From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- plamondon -dot- com>
>Subject: Re: I need your input - again
>Date: 11 Nov 1995 16:36:59 -0600

>Tracy Jones writes:

>>My question is - what do you think a tech writer is and what are we
>>supposed to be doing. What exactly are are skills.

>My short definition of technical writing is: "Finding out what the
>reader needs to know to use a product, and telling it to him."

I would generalize even further than that and call it, simply, writing user
instructions.

>This definition falls short of reality in many cases, because vast
>numbers of technical writers are not employed as writers, but as
>editors. That is, they take works that already exist and put the
>words into a form that's fit for publication. (I have met technical
>writers who were AMAZED at the concept of writing a manual from
>scratch!)

Indeed, and when it comes to complex equipment, user instructions can
include an entire family of manuals--whole volumes of parts lists and ordering
instructions, cross-definitions (e.g., by what other names or descriptions a
part may be found), exploded parts illustrations, recommended spare parts, and
other provisioning and cataloging information. But there are often
miscellaneous tasks. On one occasion, I was required to work with an
illustrator to project the front panel of an equipment not yet in final
design, for example. Maintenance manuals are often written at more than one
level, too--e.g., preventive maintenance, corrective maintenance, and overhaul
& repair are separate manuals. Then there is the operator's manual and the
training manuals--training instruction is a tech writer's responsibility, too,
in many situations. And there are separate installation manuals written for
many projects. Not at all easy to tell the whole story in a simple definition.
- Herm

***
Herman Holtz [holtz -at- paltech -dot- com], marketing consultant/freelance
writer. Author How to Succeed as an Independent Consultant, other
business books. Publisher of how-to reports. Email request for
free report on writing. Visit at http://www.crimson.com/em/