Re: Why I write AND design (long)

Subject: Re: Why I write AND design (long)
From: "David S. Broudy" <broudy -at- BCF -dot- USC -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:16:47 -0800

Donna Menk:
>Kat:

>Bravo! I couldn't agree more. I've had the same experiences you
>outlined.

[snip]

>I do know that when the "design" gets in the way of functionality,
>you've got a big problem on your hands. I'm really fortunate that
>I seem to have a good eye for design (and I'm usually the entire
>project team when it comes to design, layout, illustration, writing,
>editing, indexing...I needa raise!). Yeah, it's a lot of work. But
>the satisfaction is tremendous when I get user feedback that the
>manual has actually helped. Makes all those hats easier to wear,
>y'know?

Hm, I haven't been keeping up with the list lately but I do remember
talking about not caring what happens to my stuff once it's in the
customer's paws. I still don't much care, but I agree 100% with you and Kat
about the merits of so-called "designers". I see that here at USC often
enough; my official title here is "graphic designer" but I only work for
the business school, and we're the only in-house designers on campus. All
the other depts/schools use freelancers. You should see some of the garbage
that comes out of the other depts, and it's usually been produced for a
phenomenal design fee. It's really infuriating but there's nothing I can do
about it. There's a huge case of "the emperor has no clothes" mentality
here (and I suppose everywhere); nobody is willing to stand up and say
"that's a piece of crap" (I do, but I don't think I'm going to tell that to
the president of the university).

When I was writing full time I was the entire writing, design and
production department. That lead me to this job, which involves no writing
at all, but it's been good for enhancing my design skills. I'd sure like to
find another job that combines both... but the few freelance jobs I've had
lately had no need for layout skills because it all went on the web.

* http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~broudy/ *
* freelance web geek n tech writer *
* "The only "unnatural" sex acts are those
which cannot be performed"--Carl Beaudry *