profane logic

Subject: profane logic
From: John Wilcox <john -at- SYNTAX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 14:04:14 -0800

> I admit that his use of the word took me off guard, but that's
> only because I'm not used to seeing that language on techwr-l.
> But if you've ever browsed the usenet newsgroups, you would
> quickly see that such language is fairly common out there.

This is fallacious "well, everyone else is doing it, so it must be okay"
argument, which makes about as much sense as a screen door in a
submarine. Here are some other things that are "fairly common out
there" that people would be better off not partaking of:
- pornography
- suicide
- NT

> Some people are using the example of using such language or
> performing some socially unacceptable act at somebody's house.
> Well--surprise everybody!--this *is not anyone's* home. It's
> more like a public cafe where tech writers congregate on their
> lunch break or after a hard day of work.

So if the writer had used a cafe as the scene, instead of someone's
home, you'd have been persuaded?

> Now I await the fully expected note from Eric...
> Sometimes you just gotta break the rules. 8-)

You can cc me, Eric.

> =*= Huachuca : That's pronounced "wah-CHEW-ka" =*=

Gesundheit.

John Wilcox <john -at- syntax -dot- com>
Senior Technical Writer
Syntax, Inc., 840 S. 333rd St., Federal Way, WA 98003-6343 USA
voice 206-838-2626, fax 206-838-9836, http://www.syntax.com