Unskilled Tech Writing Managers

Subject: Unskilled Tech Writing Managers
From: Jonathan Leer <jleer -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 10:39:04 -0500

Ok, now that I have your attention, I have to tell you that I am in shock.
A few weeks ago I put out a request for information to this mailing list
and cannot believe that I got 2 responses, none of which answered my
survey request:

If you are managing publishing services, I would appreciate a dollar figure
(per hour) that you place on your perceived value for these services:
* writing
* editing
* production
* conversion between applications (e.g., Pagemaker, Word, Framemaker)
* conversion between platforms (e.g., MAC-Windows)
* translation
* Other (please specify)

Either there are no managers out there, or those who are on this list have
no business knowledge. Tech communicators should not only have communication
skills but also business skills. How else are we to rise above or at least
to the same professional level as company personnel with budget control and
influence on corporate planning. And for those of us who own our own
businesses, how else are we to remain competitive and sell our services
effectively?

Consequently, I am presenting another request for this information. I will
present responses (if ever received).

Jon Leer
Leer Technical Communications
Coyote Publishing