Re: My use of profanity

Subject: Re: My use of profanity
From: "Chris W. Rea [UL]" <cwrea -at- CREDIT -dot- ERIN -dot- UTORONTO -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 12:50:59 -0500

Michael,

I agree with you 100% on the use of "vulgar" language. One can also make the
argument that, although vulgar language doesn't necessarily add anything to
the truth of an argument, nor does it take away from the truth of an
argument.

If somebody discounts truth on the sole basis it is peppered with colourful
words here and there, then they are blinding themselves to potentially useful
information. We're all human, and we're all allowed to imbue our arguments
with feeling, and vulgarity is just one specialized way of doing that in the
case we feel strongly and are upset about the issue. Some people prefer just
to say "I am upset" while others prefer "FUCK!!" because it carries more
weight and makes a stronger statement.

Of course, I wouldn't expect a technical writer to publish something like
"Next, click on the fucking menu button." But I assume that anybody with
brains enough to be a good writer knows his audience (and his employer :-)

In a forum for discussion, however, I don't see anything wrong with vulgar
language (and would use it myself, if given good reason to do so.) People who
cry foul because of a 4-letter expletive aren't acting out of nobility: they
are acting out of stupidity and are wasting bandwidth in the process.

Regards,

[ CHRIS W. REA [UL] | The slightest confusion becomes a lethal wound ]
| U. of T. CompSci. | You know how to lie you know how to take a hint |
| email: cwrea -at- credi | Resorting to proper measures to stop the trend |
[ t.erin.utoronto.ca | Previously unyielding but now compelled to bend ]