From Kaypro to PageMaker

Subject: From Kaypro to PageMaker
From: Nancy McDonald-Kenworthy <McDonald-Kenwort -dot- 5 -at- OSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 14:24:35 -0500

Keith: Well, I've still got my Kaypro, still works, though in the
spare room- and thought I was the only one who still owned a dinasaur!!
Don't know what to do with that.
I agree that the design of the writing is often as important as the
content. . Isn't one of the writer's first considerations the audience??
Then seeing *how* the piece looks comes before the audience's actual read
for *content*. Presentation counts. And the blending of jobs isn't
limited just to the publishing levels... in my salad days, for awhile I was
an executive secretary at OXY in LA; I watched with glee while the new
computers were installed to the managers' desks: they had to put more of
their work into the computer rather than handwriting those memos and
passing them over to the secretary. It is mixed blessing... but then
we're *all* immersed in this technological revolution!!! Jobs change.
People lose jobs, do other jobs. We cannot stem this tide. I too have
found that my layout skills from PageMaker have gotten me more writing
jobs, and saying that I didn't know FrameMaker, but could do it quickly
after reading the user manual (went to the library)-I too lost the
contract. So we can do more things. I think I am more skilled now than I
was when I just wrote. I've certainly gotten those editing and dtp
jobs-and they've kept my rent paid-between the contract TW jobs!! I'm not
complaining for any of those. Clients are impressed with my diversity of
skills. It makes me smile. But note in my sig which of my work has
priority :-}

Nancy A. McDonald, Freelance Writer, Editor, Desktop Publisher
Athena's Pen... <McDonald-Kenwort -dot- 5 -at- osu -dot- edu>
52 Walhalla Road
Columbus, OH 43202