Trademarks

Subject: Trademarks
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 17:15:00 PST

Someone wrote (regarding "trademarked" terms that are widely used as generics):

>May I point out that simply because you do it does not make it either legal or
>proper? Companies invest great sums of money in building a trademark; why
>should their success at it give you the right to steal it from them?

And may I point out that just because some company files for a trademark
doesn't make it my responsibility to care? Should I really care whether
Pepsico (who supports brutal, murderous thugs in Burma) takes out a
trademark on "Uh-huh," as they recently did?

Perhaps Mr. Simpson will be allowed to trademark "OJ" as he recently
requested. Shall I ask his permission before asking for a glass of orange
juice by the name that I have called it for years?

John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.