Mouse as fast as keyboard? (Reply)

Subject: Mouse as fast as keyboard? (Reply)
From: David Mitchell <mitchell -at- SKY -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 15:53:21 +0000

On Tognazzini's studies of mouse vs. keyboard speed,
Geoff Hart (geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca) writes...
However, the latter part of the findings is what seems most
important to me: If the users feel that something is slow
or awkward, it is... no matter what the numbers say. User
perceptions are generally more important to the success of
a product than hard, numeric measures, and this suggests
the solution to Melissa's original problem: do a usability
test, even a simple one and see what the users think.

Yes, the book from which I drew the citation hit on that point again
and again. Interview, observe, design, test, interview, observe,
re-design, re-test, etc.

In his book, Landauer cites some interesting figures on the
importance of multiple user tests. He even includes cost
justifications, a very rare sight in this industry!

I'm really not on the take for this guy, but here's the info on the
book. To be fair, I found the first part of the book to be very dry
and boring. However, once he gets in to case studies, it picks up
considerably. Worth looking at if only for the references.

Landauer, Thomas K.
The trouble with computers : usefulness, usability, and
productivity.
ISBN 0-262-12186-7

David Mitchell David's Web Spot
mitchell -at- sky -dot- net www.sky.net/~mitchell/index.html