Re: focus so deeply on DTP.

Subject: Re: focus so deeply on DTP.
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 13:21:30 -0700

>In a message dated 95-11-03 Kris Olberg writes

>>I get irritated when our profession is reduced to page layout, design, and
>>>desktop publishing. I am a writer, not a desktop publisher. I think it's
>>bad >for our profession to focus so deeply on DTP.

To which Diane Haugen added.....

>I am surprised that as a technical writer, you do not consider the design
>of the page an integral part of the writing process. Desktop publishing
>software has revolutionized the publishing industry for the very reason
>that it is a tool that allows the blending of what was once two separate
>tasks, the writing and the layout and design of the printed page.

I'm with Diane on this one, especially when it comes to on-line documents.
Writing Web pages, for example, has absolutely nothing to do with page layout.
Yea. Sure. Right.

Perhaps what Kris really means is he (she?) gets irrated when our
profession is reduced to ONLY page layout.

However, the current overall writing trend is towards generalization, not
specialization. If you don't believe me, get a copy of Netscape Navigator
2.0 - it's free until Dec 15 - and browse some 2.0 Web sites.

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - I don't speak for QUALCOMM, they don't speak
for me....