Re: Circle R and TM

Subject: Re: Circle R and TM
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 14:42:56 MDT

Hal Snyder responds to a request for a distinction between (R) and (TM):

>Circle R stands for "copyright" and TM stands for "trademark."

Close, but as they say (whoever they are), "Close only counts in horseshoes
and hand grenades." Since the American legal system (at least when it comes
to corporate interests) tends to follow by the same dictum, we'll have to be
right on target :-).

(R) stands for registered trademark. TM stands for trademark. (C) stands
for copyright. One of the people in our marketing group says that the
distinction between a trademark and a registered trademark is that
registration of a trademark requires a legal process, whereas you can slap
TM on just about anything. I'm not sure it's quite this simple. I've known
of companies that use TM while their trademark registration is pending, after
which they use (R).

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * LIBERTY, n. One of imagination's most
Micron Technology, Inc. * precious possessions.
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Ambrose Bierce