Re: Circle R and TM

Subject: Re: Circle R and TM
From: Harold Snyder <ensnyder -at- EASTNET -dot- EDUC -dot- ECU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 12:12:13 -0600

> I'm a little confused about the circle R and the TM designations.
> Would someone explain the rule for using them?

Circle R stands for "copyright" and TM stands for "trademark."

The Copyright Acts of 1976 describes works that this act protects, which
include just about any idea, book, movie, song (lyrics and music), or widget
(a type of product). This act also adsresses deravitive works, royalties,
and other rights that the copyright holder enjoys.

On the other hand, a trademark is the name of a brand, symbol, or word that
manufacturers used to prevent competitors from using the same thing to
identify their product (or brand, name, or word). For example, AstroTurf
(TM) is a particular brand of artificial carpeting.

If I came up with an idea for, say artificial carpet, I would want to patent
it (just as I'd want to copyright a song I'd written or a book I'd written).
Since AstroTurf (TM) is already the name of a competing for of artificial
carpeting, I'd have to come up with another name. In much the same way, if
the book I had written could have a swell title, like Gone With the Wind
(which has already been copyrighted), I'd have to find another title.

Gook luck.
Hal Snyder

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000===
Professor of English Voice: (919) 328-6669 or 328-6042
General Classroom Building (Room 2115) Fax: (919) 328-4889
Department of English ensnyder -at- ecuvm1
East Carolina University ensnyder -at- ecuvm -dot- cis -dot- ecu -dot- edu
Greenville, NC 27858-4353 ensnyder -at- eastnet -dot- educ -dot- ecu -dot- edu
From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000===