Re: Keyboard vs. mouse

Subject: Re: Keyboard vs. mouse
From: Rogers George <Reg13 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 10:46:46 -0500

In a message dated 95-10-31 18:43:44 EST, Melissa wrote:

> We suspect that using the keyboard is faster than using a mouse.
>Does anybody know of a study or article that sheds light on which >is
faster?

You may not need a formal study to be convinced. Look at all those magazine
articles full of tips to speed up your work. They're glorified lists of
keyboard techniques. In fact, we call them keyboard shortcuts!

My experience bears this out, too. I have noticed that when people get "good"
at a software package, they use a lot of keyboard alternatives to using the
mouse.

Try it yourself: force yourself to use the keyboard command for a menu
function you use often. After you get used to it, the keyboard way is faster.

The problem with keyboarding is the early stage when you're learning the
keystrokes.

Good luck!
Rogers George (Reg13 -at- aol -dot- com)