Re: Typesetting ranges - was Figs

Subject: Re: Typesetting ranges - was Figs
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 08:01:28 -0600

Emily wrote:

> Actually, when typsetting a range of numbers, such as "pages 12-23,"
> the correct character is an en dash, not an em dash. Grant was right
> about the keystroke, though -- it is alt+150. Em dashes are alt+151.

Actually, LaVonna was encouraging the use of the word (through) over
the symbol (en dash) and never suggested an em dash.

Except for those rare cases when space is at a premium, you do not gain
much by using dashes for ranges--especially if you are using hyphenated
page numbers. Using "through" will avoid confusion.

That said, I think this en-dash and em-dash thread has been good; we
can all use these reminders on occasion.

LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser Immediate Past President, OK Chapter
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com Program Manager, 1995 Region 5 Conf.
COREStaff Communication Svcs. Society for Technical Communication

My opinions do not officially represent anyone other than little ol' me.