UNIX and TM

Subject: UNIX and TM
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 11:02:54 IST

UNIX is a trademark. I believe its ownership passed from Bell Labs to
Novell and more recently to someone else (the Santa Cruz Organization)?
The trademark is uppercase. I fear it makes no more sense to refer
to third-party UNIX systems as "Unix" than it would to refer to
IBM clones as "Ibm".

As for the remark "All other product names and service names referenced
herein are trademarks or servicemarks of their respective companies,"
it'll do for the UNIX trademark as well as for any others. It's a
silly, tautological remark carrying no real information, but it seems
to satisfy the lawyers. You'd need to attribute a trademark to
somebody else only if your company wanted or needed to make the
other company happy. (I understand that Microsoft, for example,
prefers or insists that cooperating companies acknowledge its
trademarks explicitly.) Just don't use other people's trademarks
in any way that might be interpreted as attributing them to
products/services that they don't belong to.

It is not up to you to research whether other companies' trademarks
are registered or not. If your own company has registered trademarks,
you will of course want to use the R symbol on them; but for all
other companies' trademarks, TM is plenty.

Mark L. Levinson
mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il
I am not a lawyer, nor was meant to be