Re: Fig. or Figs.?

Subject: Re: Fig. or Figs.?
From: Karen Mayer <Karen_Mayer -dot- TOUCH_TECHNOLOGY -at- NOTES -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 22:39:16 EDT

I have to agree with Betsy on this one. I dislike abbreviating "Figure"
because doing so does not improve readability, does not save a lot of
space and is just one more thing all the writers need to agree on! I
can't see any good reasons for doing it, so I don't.

-- km

-------------------- ORIGINAL MESSAGE TEXT --------------------
At 10:25 10/27/95 +0900, Brad wrote:
>I'm working with a medical text that refers to several figures at one
time. >Question: is it better to use the singular or plural form in such as
case, >i.e. (see Fig. 1-4) or (see Figs. 1-4), or is either style okay as
long as >the usage is consistent?

>Any help appreciated.

Brad,

Betsy wrote:

I've never been comfortable with abbreviating "Figure." I never see
abbreviations for "Table" which has only one fewer letter than Figure. Is
there not enough room to spell it out? I would even spell out "Figures 1 to
4" or "Figure 1 to Figure 4." Yeah, wordy. I'm sorry, but "see Fig. 1-4"
doesn't tell me much information. IMHO, it tells me that I need one to four
cookies or that it's a fig of my imagination.