Re: Moving up to manager

Subject: Re: Moving up to manager
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 18:47:02 PDT

Geoff Hart writes:

> Jim Witkin asked about the biggest change in becoming
> manager of a group after moving up from the ranks. First,
> the bad news: Jim, the biggest thing to be aware of is that
> you may have just become the proud parent of a group of
> small children, with all the frustration and responsibility
> that entails. (That's an exaggeration, but not a misleading
> one in many cases.)

It's certainly not an analogy I would like to use in my day-to-day
thinking, but it's certainly more applicable that I would like.
I had staff members who battled EXACTLY like rival siblings, for
instance.

On the other hand, I've had people work for me who were absolutely
brilliant, hard-working, famous-people-of-the-future. I became more
ambitious in my departmental goals just to find things for them to do!
Having the Tech Pubs department write and produce the Annual Report
was, I think, the pinnacle of our presumption. Fun, too.

-- Robert

--
Robert Plamondon * High-Tech Technical Writing
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (503) 453-5841