What is OOPS? ...one definition

Subject: What is OOPS? ...one definition
From: Valarie <TASSARI -at- CGI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 16:19:30 -0400

Greg,

I receive the Techwriter list in digest format, so please excuse
the lateness of this reply. In your message replying to the
TW opportunity post, you ask:

>>Anyone know what OOPS is?

I know of OOPS as Object Oriented Programming Skills. This type
of programming allows the creation of an object which always has the
same functional use, but can have multiple definitions.

For example, my company creates a diagnostic product. This product
provides a set of "objects" to be used to represent diagnostic knowledge.
One object in the set, the symptom, represents an observable problem that
someone might call a tech support center to report. The symptom OBJECT in
the diagnostic system always has the same behavior (it identifies the
observable problem and provides an entry into the hierarchy of faults that
might cause this problem). However, multiple symptom objects are DEFINED
within the diagnostic system. Each is unique and leads the support
technician to the solution for one specific problem.

If they reply to you to tell you a different definition, I would like to
hear what it is. Hope this information is helpful.

Val Tassari
Sr. Tech Writer (and list lurker)
Carnegie Group, Inc.
tassari -at- cgi -dot- com