What does your technical editor do?

Subject: What does your technical editor do?
From: Paul Baur <bap -at- SOFTWARE-AG -dot- DE>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:49:06 +0100

Our technical writing department of 25 writers is considering the merits of
using a dedicated technical editor instead of our current practice of
performing peer reviews. Our goal is to ensure uniform documentation quality
across all documentation sets and product lines. The emphasis will be on
readibility, style, structure and layout.

My question to members of the list is:

If you have such an editor in your documentation department, what do they do
and how do they fit in organizationally? How much authority do they need
to do their job effectively?

If you are an editor, I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly
and provide me with an informal job description. I'd also like to know your
idea of the "ideal" manager-editor-writer constellation. Tell me also what you
think should and should not belong to your editorial responsibilities.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Paul Baur
Technical Writer
bap -at- software-ag -dot- de

Note: Any opinions expressed are my own and do not represent the opinions of
my employer.