Re: Good riddance to Findlay

Subject: Re: Good riddance to Findlay
From: Connie Winch <CEW -at- MACOLA -dot- USA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 09:28:00 LCL

>** Maybe so, but I'm glad we repelled that Findlay invasion.
> Suppose every technical writing instructor told all his
> students to participate actively in this list for the
> mere sake of practice. Even if they were all polite and
> literate, we couldn't handle them.

>||- Mark L. Levinson, mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il -- Box 5780, 46157 Herzlia, Israel -||
>|| You can't judge right by looking at the wrong. - Willie Dixon ||

Nothing I'd read so far on this subject made me want to post about it,
until the above. So students (future technical communicators)
posting questions to the list are invading? Certainly we have
all been in their position before; we were all once new, relatively
unknowledgeable, and in need of advice from seasoned
professionals. Granted a few were downright rude, but there are
a few rude ones in every group of people. They are best ignored.
I just delete such posts and go on. Mailing to the list to tell that
person "lots of people pay for their bandwidth" just...takes up
more bandwidth. (I'd suggest mailing such a message directly
to the offender and sparing the bandwidth of everyone else on the list.)

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to handle them if
every TW instructor did the same. If you mean space-wise, I
doubt that would become a problem. And if it did become a
big enough problem, the list owner could deal with it with a pointed
message to the instructor. If you mean we couldn't answer all their
questions, of course no one is forced to do so in any case. And Prof.
Stuckert is right about the spelling & grammar part; we need to take
the log out of our own eyes before trying to remove the speck from
others'.

Connie Winch
cew -at- macola -dot- usa -dot- com