Correct usage of "quadrants"

Subject: Correct usage of "quadrants"
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 1995 16:44:44 LCL

I'm having a terminology dispute with an author about how
to refer to one of six square regions on a nomogram (a form
of data graphic, also called an alignment chart. The author
uses the word "quadrant" to refer to the region, but I've
pointed out that a quadrant, strictly speaking, refers only
to one of four regions, not one of six. (That's based on
mathematics and Webster!) He insists the term is valid for
referring to any number of regions. Any brave referees out
there who can comment on this usage?

Part 2: I'm going to be translating this from the original
French, and the author insists that "quadrant" is more
flexible in French than in English (and thus extends to
situations in which the area isn't divided into four
parts). I don't buy this, and I'd like to change the French
too. Can any French techwhirlers rule on this?

--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

Disclaimer: If I didn't commit it in print in one of our
reports, it don't represent FERIC's opinion.