Multiple options for action?

Subject: Multiple options for action?
From: Brian Boisvert <brianb -at- ICONICS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:44:09 EST

I am writing a manual where there are three different ways to perform
an action. For example:

To Create a New File
--------------------

Select New from the File menu, or click the New icon in the toolbar,
or press Ctrl+N.

An editor has crossed out the "or" before the second option. I want
to keep it.

I realize that there are rules dictating that one should only use "or"
for the final item in a comma-separated list, but I *really* want to
highlight that these are separate actions, not additional steps of the
same action.

My question: Does anyone agree with me (that "or" is acceptable to
break up each option)? Can anyone provide me with a documented source
that deals with this issue?

[Please don't suggest that I recast the sentence or use a different
style to describe actions -- this is the company style and I can't
change it. My only question is about the "or."]

Thanks,
Brian