Who Needs Bookstores?

Subject: Who Needs Bookstores?
From: John Gear <catalyst -at- PACIFIER -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 03:45:00 PDT

One list member spoke:

>Thanks to those of you who directed me to all of those great websites.

>I now have lots of bookmarks that lead me to newspapers all over the country.
>Who needs a bookstore? 8-)

I can't tell if that smiling emoticon is happy or is actually meant to be
winking ... if the question is seriously posed though, I think the answer
is obvious: WE DO!

If we insist on getting information for "free" then soon enough there will
be nothing but "free" information--if you don't mind all the ads in the way.
And, soon enough, only those facts and opinions capable of drawing
advertising support will be "free"--and other opinions will be too expensive
to express.

Enjoy the web for a while but remember what happened to radio in the US once
the commercial stations took over and began touting the virtues of the
"free" service that the American system provided (as opposed to the BBC, for
example, where a tax on receivers supported the broadcasting).
John Gear (catalyst -at- pacifier -dot- com)

The Bill of Rights--The Original Contract with America
Accept no substitutes. Beware of imitations. Insist on the genuine articles.