Re: Frame to Word

Subject: Re: Frame to Word
From: Jane Bergen <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 1995 12:41:05 +0000

> Because of the strong support for Frame on this list, I've been
> looking into it for our company. We're currently using Word 6.0. I
> can see lots of reasons why we might want to switch to Frame, but I
> can also think of one strong argument against it: We hand electronic
> copies of our documents over to a lot of resellers who take the
> information and customize it for their use. Those people all seem to
> use Word. If we switch to Frame, does that make it close to
> impossible for people using Word to make use of our files? Or is
> there some way to export Frame to Word format, perhaps by using RTF
> as a filter?

> Thanks in advance for your help!
> Cathy McNair
> <cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>

If you've been reading the list for the last couple of days, you can
see the variety of responses on this question. The answer seems to be
a resounding NO! Frame 5.0, which is what I just upgraded to, will
not and cannot import Word 6.0c documents. I DID LOOK at the Frame
web page and cannot find any reference to any filter that would allow
me to do this.

I have received some messages saying "No problem" but the vast
majority of respondents say they cannot do it, either, even WITH the
latest filters. So I don't know what THAT is all about. It seems the
only workaround that really works is to save the Word document in the
RTF format and take-what-you-get.

I'm sorely disappointed in Frame, as I was against migrating to it
in the first place. This inability to import other formats is a real
pain in the you-know-what for technical writers who need the power
and stability of Frame, but also work with multiple word processors.

Jane Bergen

Jane Bergen
Technical Writer
janeb -at- answersoft -dot- com or janeb -at- iadfw -dot- net
"The difference between the right word and the almost right word
is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug" (Mark Twain)