Re: English to Spanish Translation Software

Subject: Re: English to Spanish Translation Software
From: Lee Bumgarner <jlbumgar -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 1995 13:40:07 EDT

Dear Techwhirlers:

I queried the list yesterday about (1) a software package
that translates English to Spanish and (2) listserv groups
that focus on translation/translation software.

Thanx to Betsy Maaks, Martin J. Reyes, John Clouse,
Christiane Cadrin, Kaare Skrydstrup, Rob Uribe, Karen
Loutsch, and Karen K (no last name) for their offline,
quick responses. (There was some conflicting information;
please send corrections to me and I'll post them.)

(1) software package
-PowerTranslator (call Globalink: 800-255-5660 or
703-273-5600; PC and Mac Warehouse: 800-800-0021)
-Transcend (Windows version; call Intergraph: 800-222-9242
for Windows 30-day trial version on CD) (robust)
-Spanish Assistant (order from McMail 800-228-2808)
(not great although heavily touted in PC magazines;
good for single words but not phrses, sentences, and
paragraphs)
-Language Assistant (order from McMail 800-228-2808)

(2) listserv groups
-LANTRA-L -at- SEARN -dot- SUNSET -dot- COM (for translators and interpreters)
(To subscribe: use MAJORDOMO -at- LISTS -dot- IQUEST -dot- COM or
LISTSERV -at- SEARN -dot- SUNSET -dot- COM; yes, I know: two conflicting addresses)
-INSOFT-L -at- LISTS -dot- IQUESR -dot- COM (for international software development)

Other suggestion or related advice
-STC PIC: ITC (contact Betsy Maaks for info: bmaaks -at- frame -dot- com)
-If you read and write in Spanish, it is just as easy
to use a good Spanish/English dictionary and technical
glossaries.

Again, thank you.

Lee Bumgarner
"Views are mine and not my employer's."