Re: STC Membership

Subject: Re: STC Membership
From: Bonnie Nestor <mnj -at- ORNL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 1995 09:12:46 -0400

In article <v02130506ac902c9dcf16 -at- [128 -dot- 125 -dot- 168 -dot- 34]>, "David S. Broudy"
<broudy -at- mizar -dot- usc -dot- edu> wrote:

> I'm interested in joining this organization, but the $110 fee is a bit
> steep. I can afford it, sort of, but before I write that check I'd like to
> get some feedback from STC members.

I've been a member since 1982, and I've paid my own dues every year (no
corporate support, thank you). I think it's been a good investment -- and
it gave me something to toss back at my physicist and engineer friends who
brag on THEIR professional societies.

I'll admit to finding a lot of the articles in the STC journal, _Technical
Communication_, too academic for my taste (hey, I have to read government
documents for a living -- enough is enough!), but there are nearly always
some useful nuggets of information, and once in a while I hit paydirt with
a particular article. The "other" member publication (formerly known as
Intercom and presently undergoing a sea-change, if I understand correctly)
provides quick takes on current issues and news about members. A
relatively new feature is an ethics column that trots out a Horrid Example
and requests reader responses.

One important thing to remember is that a chunk of the dues comes back to
your local chapter. This should encourage you to get yourself to chapter
meetings and see how your elected leaders are spending YOUR money --
better yet, to help them spend it on things that will help you to advance
in your chosen profession.

There. And nobody twisted my arm to make me say this, either. 8-)

Bonnie Nestor
mnj -at- ornl -dot- gov
DISCLAIMER: I work at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, for Lockheed Martin Energy
Systems, which is under contract to the U.S. Department of Energy -- but I
don't speak for any of them, and they return the favor.