Re[2]: telecommuting -- social costs ?

Subject: Re[2]: telecommuting -- social costs ?
From: powen -at- MAIL -dot- LMI -dot- ORG
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 1995 18:37:45 EST

OK, about this social cost of work thing:

Maybe the question should be, Is the purpose of work to produce a product
or is the act of working itself, with the attendant social relationships it
involves, actually the product? Is what we do really important? I mean,
most of us are not growing food, building shelters, or in some other way
directly addressing the species' basic needs. Mostly, do we work to have
money so that we don't have to work? Or, do we work so that we can be part
of a small culture in which we feel comfortable - in other words, to feel
connected to some community (any community) and not feel alone? Maybe the
point of work *should* be to relate to others, not to produce a product.
Which is more important? And while you're thinking about all this, take the
stone from my hand, Grasshopper, and tell me, What is the sound of one hand
clapping? (:~) (Buddhist monk smiley)

Pam Owen
Nighthawk Communications
Reston, Virginia
Nighthawk1 -at- aol -dot- com, or powen -at- lmi -dot- org

My opions *are* those of Nighthawk Communications, since I am Nighthawk
Communications.