Re: Re[2]: E-mail: How does it affect our work?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: E-mail: How does it affect our work?
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 18:54:57 -0700

Worthington said:
> I do still have my questions about the long-term effects on our
> interpersonal skills.

Well, I've been using e-mail as a major form of communication for 15
years. Is that long-term enough for you? I haven't noticed any decline
in my social skills.

If you have bad social skills, e-mail may provide an opportunity to
improve them. (I'm thinking in particular of very shy people;
sometimes writing to people on the Net helps them become more
confident in a variety of social situations.)

If you already have good social skills, e-mail doesn't make them
atrophy. It's just One More Mode of Communication. I still use letters
and phone calls to keep in touch w/ friends, but I also use e-mail. I
use e-mail and phone calls to keep in touch with people at work.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com